Environmental Policy FSC & PEFC
In order to continually improve our operating procedures and thereby impact positively on the environment, Savoy Timber are wholly committed to the following Environmental Policy:
- To be fully compliant with all relevant environmental legislation associated with the Company's activities.
- Wherever and whenever economically practicable, to endeavour to use environmentally safe materials.
- Where feasible, to strive towards the continual reduction of all waste streams, to air, water and land.
- Wherever commercially viable, to recycle and reuse any materials that would otherwise go to landfill.
- To regularly monitor energy usage in order to reduce overall consumption.
- To communicate the policy internally and place it in the public domain.
- To establish and regularly review all environmental objectives in respect of this policy.
As you’d expect, being a major force in the timber related industry, we take our social and environmental responsibilities extremely seriously, and are fully committed to upholding the principles of both FSC and PEFC and aligning ourselves with manufacturers who source their materials from well managed forests. Accordingly, an ever increasing number of the products we market are FSC & PEFC Accredited, and as we move forward, we’re actively engaged in ensuring more and more of our products satisfy the relevant criteria.
The Forest Stewardship Council
The FSC Principles and Criteria (P&C) set out best practices for forest management. In many countries, FSC Regional or National Standards are developed by FSC working groups. Regional and national standards transfer the P&C to the specific conditions and context found in each country or region. FSC certification ensures that products come from well managed forests that provide environmental, social and economic benefits.
The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification
The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) through independent third-party certification. PEFC UK was established in 2000 and is the member of PEFC International. PEFC International is an umbrella organisation that endorses national forest certification systems developed through multi-stakeholder processes and tailored to local priorities and conditions.
PEFC works throughout the entire forest supply chain to promote good practice in the forest and to ensure that timber and non-timber forest products are produced with respect for the highest ecological, social and ethical standards. Thanks to its eco-label, customers and consumers are able to identify products from sustainably managed forests.